Sunday, August 24, 2008

A normal life...

I know two blogs in one day, but I am making up for lost time. I have been thinking a lot lately about a normal life.

If you are a baseball fan then you will understand this analogy. One of the many heroes of this American pastime is Cal Ripken Jr., he was a great shortstop and a family man. What is less talked about is his younger brother Billy. I feel a kinship to Billy for I am the younger sibling and we have a lot in common. We feel like we live in our older sibling's shadow and can never live up to the hype. I do cherish my sister with all my heart and I'm sure that he loves his brother as well. The reason I bring up this analogy is that like Billy he had spent most of his career on the injury report. If there was a way to get hurt in the sport he did, but his brother on the other hand didn't. I can remember growing up and the only time my sister got hurt and needed stitches was because of me slamming her finger in the door. I promise that it was not intentional it was an accident. The only other time I remember her being in the hospital is when she had my wonderful little guy(my nephew). Now me on the other hand, whenever we moved we had to find the nearest hospital because I would be visiting the ER some time during our stay in whatever city it was. I have had more injuries, illnesses and surgeries than my mom and sister combined. I would say my dad, but he is coming up on 60 years and hello he's a boy.(My poor grandma had her hands full) So my kinship to Billy begins. It is hard to live in a brother/sister's shadow even if it is in your own eyes. I would like to say that my life is just more exciting, but unfortunately that is not the case. Mine is just not exciting. The injuries and illnesses aren't anywhere near a fun time.

Off on another tangent since I was talking about baseball and two of my personal heroes. When it was for the love of the game and not how many millions is my contract worth. When you could actually go to a game as a family and not break the bank on $10 hot dogs and a $20 beer. Where you actually had fun with your parents cheering your team at the bottom of the ninth, winning run on second and no outs. Where players actually wanted to wait and sign autographs because they new that their fans were the most important part of their career.

The main reason I bring up baseball is that I am in a sports mood since the Olympics just ended. It was some of the greatest acts of sportsmanship that I have seen since the glory days of American sports. (which I got to watch the highlights since most was before my time)(sad isn't it) It is easy to become jaded in this era, but we got to see a swimmer become the greatest Olympian of all time, a 40+ year old woman gain two silver medals in her 5th Olympics, and two teams of pro basketball players shred their contract team colors, where foes became friends and put on the uniform that said USA and take GOLD. I was lucky to watch the games and even have more reasons to be proud of my country and that we have athletes that do what they do for the LOVE of the sport and not how much money they will make. Being a swimmer myself and wishing I had the talent that these swimmers do, but I do love to watch. All the American swimmers put on a great show. I know much is focused on the main man Phelps, but even as he puts it he didn't do it alone. In no way am I saying what he accomplished isn't amazing, but he wasn't the only American playing in the games. When he won his eighth gold medal I was cheering just as loud as many others. I loved watching the games and the pride these athletes took in promoting their country. One of the greatest parts of the games is when Dara Torres had the heat delayed because the swimmer in the next lane's suit ripped. I was amazed! Then last night I was able to watch the US basketball game for gold(men's). I hadn't been a big fan since it is the same as major league baseball is. It is all about the money not the game. However, during this game these players proved that they are worthy of wearing that gold medal around their necks' and wear the jersey that had USA printed on the front. Even though they play for different teams back in the states they played with egos and salaries aside with the bottom line being that their team the "Redeem Team" was destined for gold. These games have been a pleasure to watch and to all the Americans that were able to participate congrats and thank you, you made many Americans proud.

No comments: