Sunday, August 17, 2008

Go Speedracer and then some

Well, I got my first solo drive today. It was all that I hoped for and so much more.(dramatic pause) I can be cheesy, but not that much. Anyways onto my drive. Talk about freaky, I think that it was scarier now then when I took driver's ed. At least now I know my limits on what my body can handle. I went to see some friends and then back home. To make matters more interesting there were storm clouds on the horizon. (YIKES!) In my mind I'm thinking, "Oh great on my first drive I'm gonna have to deal with rain, too." Luckily Mother Nature was on my side and there wasn't a single drop of rain. Whew! Now on Monday I get to drive to and from therapy. I don't know how to explain this feeling. I can't even think of any good metaphors, similes or analogies. I am truly stumped for a comparison. I really wish that I could put it into words the feeling. Well, I'll try with this one. For a kid to ride a bike for the first time without the training wheels on or Mom/Dad holding the seat. To finally be able to go by yourself and make it. I forgot how much really goes into taking a drive. The main thing that I prayed about for the whole drive is,"Please don't let anyone hit me!" Don't worry no one did and if you really want a funny my mom was saying the same prayer. One really cool thing is that I was able to sit up straight in the seat and since I have lost so much weight I had to tighten my seat belt. How cool is that?

There are still days when I actually sit back in amazement at how far I have come in 3 months. I still remember that first day after surgery. I know that I have said this before, but I seriously would go thru this operation again knowing that this would be the outcome. It has honestly made my life so much better. It has taught me humility, strength and gratitude. Now I don't have back pain and that is beyond amazing. It is more than I could have hoped for. It reminds me of two quotes by Eleanor Roosevelt:

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do. "

"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. "

She is a wonderful woman that has left a great impression on history. Not only is she one of America's sweethearts, she also is an amazing role model for women of all ages. She is definitely one of mine.

No matter how tough a time can be there is always an ending point. It may not be the one that is desired, but it could be better than what you had hoped for. This wasn't what I had expected, but my journey has been worth it. Not only do I know my strength(body, mind and soul), but when the shit hits the fan I know who I can count on and who I can't. (pardon my language) You also learn to cherish the people around you that give you hope. Love is one of the greatest "get well" gifts you could ask for. Everything really stems from it and with it you can change someones day. I don't mean it in the sense that you love everyone. I just want you to think about opening you heart and helping someone out, and believe it or not that is showing love.

No comments: