Friday, August 15, 2008

Family and friends

I know that I have said this before, but I truly have a great support network. I don't think that I could have made it thru this without them. I will give you the breakdown.

My family unfortunately is all over the world, and we keep in touch by email and phone calls. My mom and dad are the best parents ever. Everyday that I was away from home my mom came and saw me everyday no matter what. She told me that if I wanted to cry to go ahead and she would hold my hand. She fought many of my battles because I was too out of it to make sense. There were some mistreatment's that I couldn't fight for myself. My mom is not one to make angry especially when it comes to family. Plus what makes it even better is that she does it very politely. I nicknamed her the General because when she gave an order they would not question it at all. She is truly a wonder woman. She has always been one of my heroes because in the face of adversity she always has her head held high and a calm head. I hope that when I become a mom that I will have the strength, compassion and love that she has always given to me.

My dad is the one I was able to vent to during the day. He was my jester because he would never let me talk about the bad stuff and he would always make me laugh. Thru this there was only one really bad thing that happened and both my parents stepped up to the plate and hit grand slams. Jokingly I called my dad the General's pit bull. After I called my dad and told him what happened I could hear his anger over the phone. I have been on the other side of that anger when I was growing up and got in trouble. He got on the phone with my mom and they both called in and I'm glad that I was not part of that conference call. They apologized to my dad and he asked why they were apologizing to him you guys need to tell my daughter that. When I thought that I couldn't take anymore he told me to hang in there for just a little bit longer. I am very lucky to be daddy's little girl.

My grandma on my dad's side was able to fly down to help me(this was prior to me not being able to walk)around the house in moving around and such. She was such a great help by doing so many things. She would wash my clothes, bring me food, help with my emails, cook dinner for me and my mom(they would sneak it in since the food where I was was not too great), help me get dressed, with showers and so much more. She kept everyone informed of my progress and gave constant encouragement so that I could come home.

My mom's parents unfortunately couldn't make it down to visit however they did send tons of love my way via cards, emails and phone calls. When I got home I was able to video chat with them and it was wonderful. They had me in their prayers even when my grandpa had a sick spell they still sent so much hope and prayers my way. Even when they were miles away with the cards they sent it felt as if they were here giving me a big hug and saying that it's gonna be ok. Believe it or not sometimes that is all someone needs to hear.

My aunts and uncles have shone thru too. I have one of each on both sides. Even with their busy lives they were able to take time out to chat with me and keep my spirits up. For that I am extremely grateful.

My sister is one amazing woman who I have admired since we were kids. I would love to say that we have always got along, but we have had our tough times. Since this surgery I am able to have her as a sister and a friend. We have a relationship now that I cherish. I can actually talk to her and we have conversations without fighting. She does have an upper hand just a bit since she gave me a nephew. Just kidding. I was having a really bad day and out of the blue she gives me a call and that changed the whole outlook of my day. She is remarkable in every way a person can be. She may be thousands of miles away, but some days it feels as though she is in the next chair.

I have a couple of close girl and guy friends that have also helped me thru these tough times. My three girlfriends are amazing women who really are a wonderful part of my life. Lane, Stacy and Shaunna really helped keep me sane. They let me cry when I needed to and made me laugh when I needed to get out of the sadness. They really are not just friends they are my family and when I needed some additional rocks to lean on they stepped up to the plate without hesitation. I also have some guys who began as friends and became brothers. There were times when at 3am I was wide awake and feeling pretty crappy I was able to get a hold of one of them and he told me that it will be ok and said that at least you are getting better, plus there are people who have it worse than you. That may sound harsh, but it was true and exactly what I needed to hear. I love this group of friends as much as I love my family, well they may not be blood, but they are family.

My advice to the reader....These are just a few examples of the great people in my life. If you are having a bad day take a look around and you can see all the people who love and care for you. If you think that there isn't one I can tell you for a fact that there is, my God does and if you look in the mirror I'm sure that reflection does too.

1 comment:

Krissy said...

Glad you have found your strength! I knew you had it in you!

love you