Have you ever wondered the chemistry of how you sit, walk, or even wiggle a toe. That is my current dilema. My therapist asked me to bend my knee and do a hamstring curl. Hmmm. I had to think of what you would do to do a hamstring curl. I kept telling my leg what to do, but I think that it had earplugs in because it didn't move. My legs are starting to move now, but to actually remember how to do things is the challenge. I racked my brain to try to think of something that would work and then it hit me swinging on a swing. Perfect right, it was hilarous to watch. Here I am lying on my side swinging on an imaginary swing. The first time my therapist saw this and almost fell on the floor laughing. Now that I am starting to walk it is a whole new set of issues. Now when I take a step I mumble heel to toe, heel to toe. Oh and I have a walked with neon green tennis balls. This has taught me a new sense of humor. If you can't laugh at yourself then you really have problems. Laughter is really one of the best medications. It really does make tough situations a heck of a lot easier. I do have my set backs I wouldn't be human if I didn't, however I think back to that first week after the surgery and the irritation is quickly over.
I do have a great respect for people who have these limitations on a daily basis.
One day I ask you to try cooking, cleaning, and laundry from a seated position the whole time. Ovens are one of my biggest challenges in the kitchen. Unfortunately I'm not able to unload the dishwasher just yet because it is awkward for the wheelchair. There are things that I would love to be able to do right now such as walking out to get the mail, walking into the bathroom, or walking into the kitchen in the middle of the night to get a glass of water. Without a walker.
Here is a quick recap of my days without going to therapy. I wake up between 7am to about 10am depending on how well I slept the night before. Get into my wheelchair wheel myself into the bathroom at least I can do that by myself now. It is very humbling to literally have someone else wipe you ass. Then I wheel into the kitchen to fix something to eat. This is fun because I really work up an appetite. Instead of it taking a couple of minutes to fix cereal it takes me between 5-10. Let alone if I actually want to have something that is cooked now we are talking about 30 minutes to an hour. I have to make about two to three trips to the table before I can eat. While I eat I will either watch some tv or check emails or my blog ;). Oh and by the way I can only sit up for about an hour and a half to two hours then I have to lay down again. Next is the overview of bills or any other paperwork on my plate. Now it is time to lay down for at least a half hour. Now I put on my shoes so that I can do some therapy. This includes a little battery pack that sends electronic shocks to the muscles in my legs. FUN. Now I get to walk around with my walker maybe go outside if it's not too hot or just around the dining room and living room. This takes between an hour ore two with standing, walking and sitting in between. Then a shower finally that is by myself again and that is a work out within itself. Then get dressed and go back to the kitchen for lunch. After lunch it is time to think about what to cook for dinner. Now for a big dinner we are looking at a couple of hours prep let alone the cook time. After dinner I get an hour or two of down time then take meds and go to bed between 10-12. Sounds exciting doesn't it, well that's my day.
Have you had your piece of humble pie today? It's so tasty too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment