Monday, July 28, 2008

How it all started

I have a condition called spondylolisthesis, what that means is that instead of the disks in my back lining up there was a slip and that caused a lot of pain and numbness in my legs. The slip was pushing on the spinal cord and the outputs of the nerves going from the spinal cord to my legs. This is how it all began.....

My doctor finally decided to do surgery and fuse my disks in place so no more slipping sounds simple enough right. Wrong because I went into the surgery able to walk and wiggle my toes then I woke up and couldn't feel anything in my legs. Let me rephrase when I woke up the first thing that I said was "Oh my God I can't feel my legs!" then the tears insued. The doctor was shocked as well because there was no injury to my spinal cord, no cutting of a nerve and after 3 MRI's no problem with the cord. Lone behold we are confused as to why I can't feel my legs. Two days after the first surgery which was 5/5/08 they decided to go thru my stomach and do a complete spinal fusion. Thank God for the morphine drip and that I was out of it for these tough calls. If you are ever going to have surgery make sure that you fill out a medical power of attorney it will help, believe me. Unfortunately after the second surgery I still couldn't feel my legs.

Now the rehab begins.....

I had therapy at the hospital, a rehab hospital and then a nursing home. Yes, a nursing home it was a nursing and rehabilitation home. Finally I am back at home. I decided to do this blog to chronicle was has happened so that I will remember and possibly help someone else. These are going to show my struggles with learning how to walk again and that even if the doctor says that it may not be possible DO NOT EVER GIVE UP!

1 comment:

Krissy said...

You have come so far already! Keep it up! I know you'll be back to normal in no time!